Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Sadie

Sadie


Home alone, rain pointlessly flowing down the kitchen window. I missed Mum, but nowhere near as much
as Dad did. The doorbell rang, expecting to see my father I answered. There was a strange letter, just lying
there. I knew I wasn’t supposed to open any mail but this letter was addressed to me. I opened it, the words
shocked me, ‘I am always watching ~ Sadie’


I was with her, the sky was gloomy. We were sitting on the front porch wondering what we should do.
She suggested we go for a walk, so we did. The dark forest sent shivers down my spine. I couldn’t say the
same about Sadie, she was a very brave, strong, independent young girl. The cries of pain from the old oak
trees always made it feel as if we were in a horror movie. I had always loved this place but now it was as if
my surroundings were telling me I shouldn’t be here.


As the wind kept blowing through the dead leaves of the trees, I would hear their song. It was not pleasant.
The feeling of anxiety became too much for me to bear. Sadie reassured my thinking, she hugged me
tightly. She invited me to come to sit at the top of a tree near the edge of the cliff. Once I was up there she
asked me just one question, ‘How would you feel if I died?’ Even though startled at what she had just said
I answered ‘I’m not sure I guess we’ll see at the time.’ She then went on to tell me things where my mind is
still not in the right place to write about. I started to cry.


She hugged me once again. In her embrace, I felt safe and loved. I just wanted to go home. I wanted
everything to be normal again, but I knew that wasn't possible. As we sat on the very edge of the branch
in silence I once again felt like I shouldn't be here. That's when it happened. She pushed me off the edge of
the cliff. As I went down I faintly heard her say "You should never have..." I wasn't able to hear the rest.
Fortunatly for me the fall down was not that far. In shock as I lay silently on the ground barely alive I could
see her eyes. I then heard my mothers voice, a scream followed by the sound of a gunshot and the snap of
a branch.


I try to tell myself it never happened that she’s still out there somewhere. I threw the letter into the fireplace.
I went and sat back at the kitchen window. I will never forget that day. March 12th 1992 the day Sadie had
not only attempted to kill me, but how she murdered my mother.    


   

By Maia

No comments:

Post a Comment